How does adipose tissue, body fat?
Like an energy store? As a communications center? Even scientists thought for a long time that it only stored fat. We have recently understood that it also behaves like a gland. It communicates with other tissues. Adiponectin is one of the signals it sends out to do so.
Currently, adiponectin is considered a key component of communication between fat cells (adipocytes) and insulin-sensitive tissues. This substance even communicates adipocytes with blood vessels. Knowing this, we clearly see that it also functions as an endocrine organ.
But what exactly is adiponectin? It is a hormone that helps regulate metabolism. It modulates our ability to metabolize sugars.
Low levels of adiponectin can precipitate obesity, contributing to type 2 diabetes and other pathologies.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO INCREASE ADIPONECTIN LEVELS?
It is possible to do it with these tools available to everyone:
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Support yourself with some effective supplements.
CHOOSE YOUR LIFESTYLE
Exercise To increase adiponectin levels, your level of exercise can be moderate, but at least for 30-45 minutes a day. Several reports indicate that swimming is significantly effective in increasing adiponectin levels. However, the best stimulant for its production is regular physical activity. In fact, the same study showed that the levels would drop again if after doing intensive exercise we return to a sedentary habit (1). Constancy is the key. Choose preferably aerobic exercise, such as trekking, running, jogging, biking, or even walking, as long as you walk at a good pace.
Diet As expected, the function of adipocytes depends on what we eat, especially the type of fat we choose. Therefore, it is best to avoid saturated fats because they reduce adiponectin levels. This type of fat is found in fried foods and fatty portions of red meat. The most recent studies also indicate that if we choose healthy fat in our diet, we will increase adiponectin levels. These healthy fats are found in avocados, olive oil, nuts, salmon, and oily fish (2). If you are going to eat cereals, look for whole grain options and eat them with fruits and vegetables to improve blood levels of adiponectin. Instead of snacking on sweets or processed foods, opt for unsalted nuts, fruit, or peanut butter. Also accompany your protein plate of chicken, fish, shellfish, or shellfish with steamed vegetables or vegetable salads.
Most studies indicate that coffee consumption increases adiponectin levels. Green tea can also have the same effect in some people (3). Remember that caffeine is potentially beneficial, and to maintain a healthy intake you should consume no more than 2-3 cups a day. In addition, you must make sure that caffeine does not interfere with your medication, or with any pathology that advises against its consumption. Use the minimum of sugar and fat in the form of dairy products to accompany your drink.
You could try exposing yourself to low temperatures as there is clinical evidence that doing so can increase adiponectin levels in the long term. It is a good sign if this temperature causes you to have a shivering episode, as this could increase adiponectin in the medium term.
What happens is that exposure to low temperatures stimulates the type of fat cells that make up brown adipose tissue. This type of adipocyte converts energy into heat, while white fat stores extra energy. Converting white fat to brown fat can improve metabolism and increase adiponectin levels (4).
There are also supplements that can help you reach an optimal level of adiponectin.
Try grape seed extract. In addition to increasing adiponectin levels, it also lowers cholesterol, helps control weight, and improves the body's ability to process sugars (5).
One 250mg tablet once a day is the standard dose.
You could also try grapeseed flour, which you can buy online or at health supply stores. Find recipes online and use them to make bread, muffins, crackers, and other baked goods.
As we explained above, the type of fat you consume is critical. Therefore, take fish oil or an omega 3 supplement. Omega 3 fatty acids moderately increase the levels of adiponectin in the bloodstream. They can also increase insulin sensitivity, which will help your body process sugars. Try to take a daily dose of 1,000 to 3,000 mg of fish oil or an omega-3 supplement.
You can also include raspberry ketones. There is not much research on raspberry ketones; however, taking a daily dose could help increase adiponectin levels (6).
It is available in capsules of 100 to 1000 mg; therefore, aim to use a daily dose of 600 to 1,200 mg.
OMEGA R3™ [100 PEARLS/1000MG]
KETOR PURE ™ KETONES [60CAP/311MG]
- Kilic-Erkek, Ö., Mergen-Dalyanoglu, M., Kilic-Toprak, E., Ozkan, S., Bor-Kucukatay, M., & Turgut, S. (2015). Exercise training and detraining process affects plasma adiponectin level in healthy and spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Janiszewska, J., Ostrowska, J., & Szostak-Węgierek, D. (2021). The influence of nutrition on adiponectin—A narrative review. Nutrients , 13 (5), 1394.
- Izadi, V., Larijani, B., & Azadbakht, L. (2018). Is coffee and green tea consumption related to serum levels of adiponectin and leptin? International journal of preventive medicine , 9 .
- Imbeault, P., Dépault, I., & Haman, F. (2009). Cold exposure increases adiponectin levels in men. Metabolism , 58 (4), 552-559.
- Meeprom, A., Sompong, W., Suwannaphet, W., Yibchok-anun, S., & Adisakwattana, S. (2011). Grape seed extract supplementation prevents high-fructose diet-induced insulin resistance in rats by improving insulin and adiponectin signaling pathways. British journal of nutrition , 106 (8), 1173-1181.
- Mehanna, ET, Barakat, BM, ElSayed, MH, & Tawfik, MK (2018). An optimized dose of raspberry ketones controls hyperlipidemia and insulin resistance in male obese rats: Effect on adipose tissue expression of adipocytokines and Aquaporin 7. European journal of pharmacology , 832 , 81-89.